The site was once a thriving employment hub with a strong community spirit. Gravity will rekindle this ethos through the development of a place that is continually evolving, catering for tomorrow’s workforce whilst protecting the climate and environment.
Challenging the way we work, live and play
Salamanca Group has a track record in developing commercial real estate outside of the UK, yet they always aspired to create a flagship development in the UK. One that would bring together some of the greatest business minds to solve some of the biggest economic and environmental challenges we are facing and enhance the economic growth of the South West of England as well as the UK.
Salamanca wanted to build more than just bricks and mortar packaged up as an enterprise hub. They had a vision of building a forward-thinking sustainable, energy efficient and high-performing campus with a sense of community and set about finding the perfect location.
In 2017 This is Gravity Ltd was formed to bring the vision to reality.
Building on history and moving toward a sustainable future
For over sixty years, the Royal Ordnance Factory Bridgwater was based on the site. During this period, it was a significant production facility through wartime and peace. Social clubs, sports teams and community events were the norm.
Building on its manufacturing past, buzz of activity and community spirit, Gravity will once again become an employment hub supporting an active ecosystem of businesses in a desirable environment.
- Site preparations were completed, and remedial works were signed off by the Sedgemoor District Council.
- Gravity arrived on the UK commercial real market seeking large-scale site occupiers.
- ‘Our Lives at ROF 37’ community heritage film made in partnership with South West Heritage Trust and Somerset Film premiered online.
- Gravity joined the West of England Combined Authority 5G Logistics project, which secured over £3m from DCMS to test how we seize the full benefits of 5G and help businesses harness the power of modern technology.
- Gravity featured at the launch of the Department for Business & Trade’s International Investment Platform.
- The Gravity link road opens. Connecting the site to the UK’s motorway network, watch construction timelapse.
- In February 2022, Sedgemoor District Council (now Somerset Council) adopted the Gravity Local Development Order, giving the site the greater flexibility to cater to the shifting demands of the market.
- In September Gravity and local partners launched the Gravity Sphero initiative, designed to inspire young local minds into STEM through play.
- Launched ‘Take Charge: the missing piece in delivering a clean growth economy’. A study into the ecosystem of economic, innovation, academic and infrastructure sites and assets in the UK.
- Gravity’s workforce development initiative progressed with positive talks between the University of Bristol and Bridgwater & Taunton College.
- Gravity hosted a well-attended community heritage event, celebrating the sites industrial past.
- Gravity’s LDO was recognised as transformation tool in a government speech delivered at RIBA.